(From “Prince William, The Story of Its People and Its Places”, 1961)
“Built about 1820, this house was a simple frame building, two storied with a low gable roof, and chimneys of brick and a soapstone chimney in the rear.
After 1848, the estate was owned by Henry Dane, ‘late of the city of Troy, New York.’ In the old days, this was truly a house by the side of the road where the race of men go by, whose owners did not sit in the ‘scorner’s seat,’ but were consistently the friends of man.
So it came about that travelers along the Dumfries-Occoquan Road bestowed upon the house the name ‘Pilgrims’ Rest.’ During the War between the States, hospitality was extended unstintingly to both Northern and Southern soldiers.”
First United Presbyterian Church of Dale City currently occupies this blessed land, where “Pilgrims’ Rest” once stood. It is no coincidence that love of, and caring for others continues here in the ministry we carry out in the name of Jesus Christ. This is a place of rest, healing and comfort for all Pilgrims in the turmoil of their days.
Perhaps our gracious God had this in His plan from the dawn of creation. Truly, we are His people and His servants, placed here to continue His work in this blessed place.
Praise be to God”
The Elders, Deacons and the Session, 2007